This 2019 started with a very special trip for me to New York with my beautiful mom and sister. Yes, finally a girls trip YAY!
To be honest it’s been such a long time since my last visit to the big apple. Let’s put this way, this was actually my first visit to the USA since Trump is president lol (shocking right!)
The last visit was when I was still working for Ralph Lauren when I had to attend Fashion Week so it’s been almost 3 years ago.
Being back to the city that never sleeps was something that was very exciting for me not only because I could have some bonding time with my mom and sister but also because I kind off needed a break from the tropics.
I’m sure many of you also wanted a break from my tropical photos right? (be honest!) Finally it was time to say goodbye of the bikinis for a little while and wear more warm clothes on my blog and Instagram!
This New York trip was only for five days but we made the most of our days in this city. Part of our visit was because my parents just bought a house in Costa Rica and we went shopping for furniture and decorations!
So I put together a very quick guide of the things I would like recommend to all of you who are looking staff to do in the big apple:
- Visit the Empire State Building: one of the most iconic buildings in New York that you should not miss. This has a cost of $ 38 per person and also offers beautiful views of the city.
- Visit The Top of Rock: one of the most spectacular sights in New York City too. The cost starts from $ 40 per person and you can buy online. I recommend going as early as possible as it is when there are fewer people. This opens from 8am.
- Late shopping in Times Square: visiting Times Square is definitely a must. I would recommend more going at late night because you can see better all the beautiful lights around. The best shopping is when it’s very late from 12am -3am because it is less crowded. Make sure to stop a Joe’s Pizza it will be one of the best pizzas you will try in town.
- Visit Central Park: definitely a must! It offers beautiful views no matter what season you go. If you go in the summer go have a picnic next to the like and if you go in the winter it is a good excuse for a snowball fight!
- Visit The Grand Terminal Station: considered one of the most beautiful terminals in the world. A very photogenic with an old – vintage look that I would recommend visiting. Additional feature is the great food court including eating in shake shack! The best burgers you will eat in your life (you will thank me after).
- Go to the Brooklyn Bridge for sunrise: my sister and my mother abandoned me in this mission lol but I still went on my own and it was worth 100%. If your goal is to take photos on the bridge this is the best time to capture it because I swear there is almost anyone around.
- Visit Flat Iron Building: one of the most iconic buildings in New York. It’s a pretty busy area but I still recommend visiting this landmark.
- Visit Little Italy: if you are a lover of everything that is Italian, you should not miss this neighborhood. Here you will find the best souvenir shops, the best Italian food you will not regret trying.
- Visit Soho: it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in New York where there is a lot of art, shops, and coffee shops. If you have a chance, I recommend visiting Nomo Soho.
- Visit China Town: it is a super photogenic site and you will find the most authentic and delicious Chinese food specially noodles. I recommended also going to Cha Cha Matcha on Brome Street which is super close from Chinatown.
How to move?
From the airport you can get Uber and this my best recommendation as is fast, easy and cheaper.
As for moving inside the city the best is to grab the subway because is cheaper and faster. Taxis, Ubers can be expensive and the traffic is a bit heavy. There are packages per day or per rides and these cards are rechargeable and you can pay in cash or card.
Where to Stay?
This time I stayed at the Langham Hotel New York on 5th Avenue.
Langham Hotels is a chain of luxury hotels that has privileged destinations from the USA, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Langham New York is characterized by having one of the best locations in Manhattan since it is located in Midtown Manhattan between Bryan Park and the Empire State building. A tower of limestone that rises 60 floors in the sky surrounded by historical museums, legendary attractions, entertainment celebrations and award-winning restaurants.
My mom, my sister and I were surprised by the modern design of the hotel from its lobby to the incredible welcome that received us: a bottle of champagne, roses and pink macaroons waiting in our huge room. I think NY feels great!
The rooms are residential type furnished with indulgent amenities, such as Duxiana Swedish beds and large bathrooms lined with white marble with tub and rain-style bathrooms. Many of the rooms are highlighted by views of the iconic Manhattan skyline framed by large glass windows like ours.
Langham NY has the AI Fiori restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ai Fiori, which means “between the flowers” in Italian, has a menu that celebrates the French and Italian Riviera, courtesy of the world-famous Grupo Altamarea and chef Michael White. The Michelin-starred restaurant offers a la carte, prix-fixe and tasting menu options available for lunch and dinner, as well as an express or full breakfast to start the day.
The hotel also has room service and in fact this seemed exceptional. Remember waking up with a knock- knock on the door and this was hot coffee with waffles waiting. The perfect combo to enjoy the beautiful views of NY while the sun is spreading throughout the city of Manhattan. It was something magical!
Langham NY has the Chuan Body & Soul spa which offers traditional massages of Chinese medicine. This was the perfect gift for me and my family after intense days of shopping and touring in this great city.
I could not have imagined better way to end this trip with my mom and my sister! We tour, buy, eat and enjoy a lot of this beautiful city that we hope to return soon!
I want to thank Langham NY for their incredible hospitality and all the details they had with my family.
Turtle neck cashmere sweater in camel: Polo Ralph Lauren
Stripe Cashmere boat neck sweater: Polo Ralph Lauren
Navy Vest: Polo Ralph Lauren
Navy Vinnie: Polo Ralph Lauren
Stripe black and white sweater: Zara
Military Jacket with leather: Club Monaco
Black leather leggings: Zara
Black waist belt: Club Monaco
Black Scarf: Club Monaco
Black leather bag: 3.1 Phillip Lim
Leather tan boots: Ralph Lauren Collection
White sweater with choker: Zara
Teddy bear jacket: Zara
Black leggings: Zara
Black boots: Material Girl
Grey vinnie with pom pom: H&M
Waist black bag: Gucci
Tan Coat: Polo Ralph Lauren
Black feather sweater: Ralph Lauren Collection
Rain boots: Burberry
Black Leather dress: Shop Sugar Lips
Black sunglasses: Prada
Aviator sunglasses: Rayban